This work continues and the site at Skegness Water Leisure Park now houses the company’s locomotives, carriages and wagons. Even the rails are of historic interest: recovered from industrial and quarrying sites, where narrow gauge railways had once provided essential transport. In addition, the site hosts the important collection of WW1 trench railway vehicles owned and restored by a registered charity, the LCLR Historic Vehicles Trust.
The LCLR’s rolling stock is of special interest.
The most spectacular are the two large bogie carriages built by the Gloucester Rail, Carriage and Wagon Company in 1924 for the Ashover Light Railway which ran for seven and a quarter miles from Clay Cross to Ashover in Derbyshire. They had eventually become static sports pavilions but were bought by the LCLR in 1961 and restored for passenger service in 1962 and 1963.
The only passenger carriage ever owned and operated by the Sand Hutton Light Railway on its line near York, opened in 1922 but closed in 1930, is also on the LCLR, undergoing renovation. It too had been used as a sports pavilion and was restored and returned to service on the LCLR. Equally unique is the passenger carriage from the Nocton Estates Light Railway, built on the frame of one of the War Department Light Railway’s Class “D” bogie wagons. It had been used for inspections of the estates and to transport shooting parties and was purchased by the LCLR in 1982 from owners who had used it as an office upon closure of the Nocton system.
The frame of one of the WDLR’s Class D wagons (once used by the LCLR as an open top passenger vehicle), a Class P four-wheeled ration wagon and a modified example are also on the railway.
The locomotives are of special interest.
The company’s initial locomotive, “Paul”, was a four wheel “Simplex” diesel built by Motor Rail of Bedford in 1926 (works number 3995) which had operated on the Nocton railway and was given a new all over metal body when purchased by the LCLR. The other four diesel locomotives are also Simplexes: “Wilton” (works number 7481, built 1940) acquired from Humberston Brickworks; “Nocton” (works number 1935, built 1920); “Major” (works number 8622, built 1944) and an unnamed example, (works number 8874, also from 1944). The steam locomotive “Jurassic “, purchased by the LCLR in 1961, is awaiting restoration. It is an 0-6-0 saddle tank built in 1903 by Peckett & Sons (works number 1008) for lime works at Southam in Warwickshire. It is certain that its elegant lines, polished brass dome cover and name plates, large cab and long chimney will again make it popular with LCLR passengers when renovated.
The importance of the four vehicles owned by the LCLR Historic Vehicles Trust has been recognised by the Science Museum and the Transport Trust who have contributed to the cost of their restoration. For many years they were displayed in the Museum of Army Transport. They include the only surviving ambulance van built for the WW1 trench railways, two Class D bogie wagons and a Class P four-wheeled ration wagon.
For further information of historic railways visit:: www.davesrailpics.co.uk